Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Journey to the Underworld: Facts and Deleted Material

Click to see the story

This story was my semester test that I had to make for Mythology class at the very end of the school year. Other students had stories like one guy went to the land of the redheads, one is Cupid and Aphrodite created dating sites, one is finding Puff, the magic dragon. One is the goddess of concrete's love was taken for her and she search the entire Earth to look for him, explaining why roads are everywhere on this planet.

Scylla wasn't in the original, I felt I wanted to add another monster, so I threw him in. Fans of the God of War games should remember him from the PSP games or it's HD remakes.

Speaking of God of War, I wrote this story way before the games came out. So no, I didn't copied from the game series. I'll admit I was inspired a little by Clash of the Titans(original), Disney's Hercules, and the original Greek myth stories. I can't with the movie Troy that came out that year, since that's a realistic take on the 10-year war.

Titans were part of Hades' army but they were simply generic. Just like the Titans in the Disney's Hercules movie. The Titans do have name you know. I decided to remove them.

Dialogue was nearly nonexistent. Like for example: The gods told Chris about Hades and they gave him weapons.

The references to the Dodgeball stories and Heroes vs. Baddies weren't in the original. The story was simply made for my semester test. After a month or two after school ended, I simply made the story a part of the same universe as the others.

Artemis was called Diana. I forgot her Greek name at the time and went with her Roman name. I went back to her Greek name.

Zeus never had a lightning sword but I didn't care, because swords are cool. God of War did something similar and created a sword that was said to be used in the Titanomachy. Swords did exist back in the day but I don't remember any of the Olympians having a sword as their personal weapon.

The battle scenes were brief. For Example: Chris slay Cerberus, chop off Medusa's head, shove the sword into the Minotaur's mouth, shoot Cyclops in the eye....

Charon the ferryman wasn't in the original. It just simply said Chris crosses the river of Styx on a boat.

I was thinking of adding the Nemean Loin but how to kill him is too complicated to write. His fur is impenetrable and the story of Hercules said he killed him by choking him. To remove the fur and wear over his head as armor, Hercules had to use the one thing that can cut the loin's fur, it's claws.

No, the Princess of Cabot wasn't based on anyone. I very rarely based people in my stories from real life. It's just when I said the bald black man in the 1st Dodgeball story is based on Morpheus and not one of the select few black students Cabot High we had at the time. Besides, in a year or two, are you still dating, seeing, crushing, etc on the same boy/girl from that time. I knew my stories would be told for a while and it be dumb to write the Princess on anyone.

Chaos was the guy who existed before everyone else in Greek Mythology. He was a shapeless being of some sort. Sounds like some unspeakable horror. Some versions of the myth simply say he's the air itself.

The Titans were in the middle of the fight between Chris and Hades.

The end of the fight said the Olympians came to the underworld and seal the weaken Hades to Tartarus, the Greek version of Hell. I change it to where the sword has special magic that teleports gods into Tartarus.

The plot twist of Zeus being the real main villain wasn't in the original, Hades was. Alot modern versions of the Greek myths try to make Hades as the main villain because people nowdays think of ruler of the Underworld, they think Satan. The Underworld wasn't really a bad place like Hell. Hades wasn't a bad guy really aside from abducting Persephone to be his wife. I admit I'm guilty of making Hades evil in the story, so I rewrote the ending a little with Zeus being the main bad guy. I won't say the god of the underworld was a good guy since he was going to kill the Princess.

In original myth of Perseus, after he saved Andromeda from a sea dragon, he claimed her as his woman. I thought claiming the Princess as Chris' girlfriend be sillier.

With the plot twist added, I added Athena saying sorry to Chris about Zeus.

No comments:

Post a Comment